Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Book Review and The Lew

Today I finished reading 'Calf,' one of Krzysztof Martens' books from his 'University of Defense' series. I originally picked it up because of a recommendation that advertised it as an expert/world-class book on defense. While the plays in the book may well be of that caliber, the way in which they are presented sometimes obviate the plays from a problem perspective. So, while I would certainly recommend the book as an instructional piece on how to think as a defender, I did not find it to be on par with, say, Kelsey on Defense in how the text and plays are organized.

The book is so named because Martens compares the average player to a calf, wandering aimlessly through the wilderness. 

Here is a hand from the 4th quarter of the recent Vanderbilt in which my old coach, Lew Stansby, defended a hand that seemed to have come straight out of Martens' book (accurate defense would have ensured victory):


Well, I could have done with a lighter warm-up post, but hopefully this wasn't too bad, and hopefully I'll be able to posts some hands with mon ch00 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment