Sunday, August 23, 2009

Finished!!

Well... it's all over. Maybe with a stellar session today Jason and I might have been in medal contention, as it was we came in 15/54, about 3 boards back of 3rd. If you remove our 2nd session, in which about a million and one things went wrong, then it probably would have happened. Justin Lall and Jeremy Fournier came back from 29th to be in 4th place with 3 rounds to go, but 3 Polish pairs put paid to that. Alex Hudson and John Marriott won Gold for the U21 category. Justin and Jeremy had the top result for the Americans, taking 10th. I managed to win a couple side bets, so it wasn't all bad.

Here were a few interesting hands from the final set:



I'm not sure how the auction should go here... but we did end up in the right spot.



The ole' 5-card suit preempt. Declarer is dangerously close to being able to make a game that they would never otherwise bid, but he can't do everything. If you draw trumps you lose 3 diamonds, and if you set up hearts then you can't draw trumps.



I blew a trick in the endgame when I could have thrown N in for an over to lead away from her DK, but I knew that 3NT= would already be a good board and when the C9 held (you know N is dangerously short in clubs, and South's D6 was a lavinthal discard) I basically stopped paying attention.



Jason made this on the nose. I should have rebid 1NT at my first opportunity but... well I didn't. After Jason shows up with a monster for the minors I know that unless he has a hand that's interested in grand, we're probably going down in the small, so I opted for the matchpoint locale of 4NT :-)

That's the last of the hands from this tournament and the last hands I'll likely post on this blog. Hopefully I'll get a lot of pictures tomorrow to upload. To anyone who's reading this: see you soon! Hope you're doing well!

1 comment: