Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Off to Turkey!

Well at the time of this post it's a little more than 12 hours until I begin traveling to Istanbul! Even though this is a pretty big trip for me everything feels pretty normal today, except for the fact that I did my laundry :-)

For those of you who don't know, I'm on the 'USA Blue' team for the "First World Youth Congress," which is basically the World Transnational Junior (Under 26) Championships. This is an open event, so anyone can go and the amount of entries allowed is unlimited. You are also permitted to play on teams where several nationalities are represented. If you visit the link you can see some photos of Yeditepe University, where we'll be playing and staying.

I think it definitely helps to have 'been there, done that' last year in Beijing because I am nowhere near as nervous this time around. Maybe Turkey just seems closer to home than China, or maybe it's because I know my teammates better now, or that I haven't been studying as much, but the only weight I feel on my shoulders currently is the weight of expectation: I expect to win.

The original conception for this blog was just as a place where I would post some of the bridge problems my team and I face while we're playing over the next two weeks. I know how it is to read a blog and people don't generally want to pore over daily posts about your daily life unless they're your mother, but I'll probably throw some Turkish vignettes in there to spice things up a bit. But don't worry, there will be plenty of bridge hands to offset that!

Last night some friends of mine threw me a 'good luck sendoff' of sorts, and I'm eager to be on my way and CKD (Crush, Kill, Destroy!) Flight leaves from JFK at 4:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment